Tuesday June 5th, 2018
Marcello’s Wine Market
- Jim B.
Sergeant at Arms
- Jessica Paul*
- John Paul*
- John Thompson*
Pre-Meeting Brew Sampling
- Bearded Pelican (Tim): Russian Imperial Oreo Stout (15% ABV)
- Sawbriar (John Paul): Kölsch — Lemon & Lavender (7% ABV)
- Sawbriar (John Paul): Lager — White Peach & Blueberry (8% ABV)
- Cajun: New England IPA
- Directional Brewing (Chris): Brains Is Stupid Sour — Ice distilled barleywine with Tequila and Oak (≈15% ABV before distillation)
- Directional Brewing (Chris): Baltic Porter — Rum barrel aged (13% ABV)
- Avery: El Gose (4.5% ABV)
- Rahr & Sons: Iron Thistle — Scottish Ale (7% ABV)
6:00 — Call to Order – Gene
6:01 — Battalies des Bières 2019 Pre-Planning – Jim B.
Entry Registration: 6/5/18 – 1/11/19
Entry Delivery: 12/15/18 – 1/11/19
Judging: Saturday January 19th, 2019
The Green Room
229 Jefferson Street
Lafayette, LA 70501
6:03 — David vs. Goliath Brewoff – Chris
Sponsored by the Red Rice Brew Krewe
Entry Registration: 6/17/18 – 7/14/18
Strickland’s Eats & Spirits
203 East Nezpique St. Suite 105
Jennings, LA 70546
6:07 — Battalies des Bières 2019 Pre-Planning, cont. – Jim B.
2018 had 5 Main categories with 12 sub-Categories.
We will swap the 21B – Specialty IPA: Belgian for 21B – Specialty IPA: Black because we only had 2 entries in Belgian. We will also add a Meade category.
- 11 – British Bitter
- 11A – British Ordinary Bitter
- 11B – British Best Bitter
- 11C – British Strong Bitter
- 19 – Amber & Brown American Beer
- 19A – American Amber Ale
- 19B – California Common
- 19C – American Brown Ale
- 21 – IPA
- 21B – Specialty IPA: Black
- 24 – Belgian Ale
- 24A – Witbier
- 24B – Belgian Pale Ale
- 25 – Strong Belgian Ale
- 25A – Belgian Blond Ale
- 25B – Saison
- 25C – Belgian Golden Strong Ale
- M1 – Meade
- M1A – Dry Meade
- M1B – Semi-Sweet Meade
- M1C – Sweet Meade
6:18 — Gulf Brew – Tim
Call for Brews
We’d like to go in with 100 gallons
30 gallons total promised to date, possibly 35:
- Nick & Kent – 5 gallons (possibly +5 more)
- Art – 5 gallons
- Austin – 10 gallons (2 ea. 5 gallons – same beer)
- John Paul – 10 gallons (2 brews)
We need a volunteer, Tim would rather not.
6:25 — Battalies des Bières 2019 – Kent
Are we going to have a contest committee? Jim B. noted yes, but we aren’t sure about Scott Anderson if he can get us food again next year.
6:27 — Pilsner & Kölsch Style review – Jim B.
Jim brought back beers from his recent trip to Europe.
Pale bitter European beer
- Idyll Hounds: Ghost Crab Pislna (4.5% ABV)
can taste some DMS (Dimethylsulfide) at a low to medium level. Canning and malt create a distinct flavor, spicy and herbal hops – adapted from Czech Pislner
- Weihenstephaner: Pils (5.1% ABV)
seems to have oxidation or heat damage
Top fermented ‘Ale’ near 50˚F, then cold conditioned for about 4 weeks to impart lager-like dry characteristics and to tone down fruitiness. Dry yeast generally can’t be used for Kölsch because the process reduces yeast survivability. Certainly cannot bank yeast which was originally dried. Traditionally served from gravity fed firkins into 7oz. stangs. (cylindrical glass, similar to a ‘Collins’)
Reissdorf: Kölsch (website in German) (4.4-5.2% ABV)
CDO (Controlled Designation of Origin) product of Cologne Germany. (the name ‘Kölsch’ derives from ‘Cologne’)
clean and crisp aroma with a slight fruitiness. Color is clear with a medium-light to medium body, could be mistaken for a Cream Ale or Pilsner.
6:47 — Sawbriar Brewery – John & Jessica Paul
124 South Buchanan
Lafayette, LA 70501
Tap room only – no distribution
Package beer might be a possibility from the tap room.
Will use local ingredients (backyard garden)
Brews will be fruit and herbal forward
Will have 12+ taps, allowed to sell other brands
Tentatively, October 2018
6:55 — Adjourn
Post Meeting Brew Sampling
- Directional Brewing (Chris): Phantom of the Hopra — Brett Saison, aged 2 years (8.2% ABV)
- Directional Brewing (Chris): Ihara — Brett Saison (5.5% ABV)
- Idyll Hounds: Divide & Conch’r — Double IPA (8% ABV)
- Cigar City: Guayabera — Citra Pale Ale (5.5% ABV ~ 50 IBUs)